Gainesville man charged with molesting a minor for four years

<p>Michael Vincent Ridlon</p>

Michael Vincent Ridlon

A Gainesville man was charged with sexually abusing a minor Friday morning.

Michael Vincent Ridlon, 53, was arrested after the Department of Children and Families investigated a statement from the victim, whose name and relationship to the defendant were redacted, claiming Ridlon had molested her for years, according to the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

The 14-year-old female victim spoke with a DCF investigator before they called law enforcement, the report said. She was then interviewed by the Child Protection Team where she said the abuse carried on for four years — from when she was in elementary school until about one year ago.

The victim described to CPT how Ridlon touched her genitals against her will multiple times and touched her over and under her clothes, according to the report. 

Ridlon would visit her in her bedroom or when he thought she was asleep, the report said. The victim said she would pretend to be asleep and hoped the abuse would stop.

Ridlon was brought to the Alachua County Sheriff's office to be interviewed. He told deputies he did not want to speak to them until his attorney arrived, the report said. 

He was charged with lewd and lascivious molestation on a victim under 12 years old by an offender over the age of 18. He is being held at the Alachua County Jail on a bond of $500,000.

If you or anyone you know has been sexually abused or is experiencing suicidal thoughts, please reach out to the Alacha County Victim Services and Rape Crisis Center or the Alachua County Crisis Center for more information on how to get help. 

Michael Vincent Ridlon