Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a man Friday afternoon for helping his brother hide after committing murder in April, police said.

Reginald Eugene Symonette Jr., 41, of Brooker, Florida, was  accused of not helping police during the murder investigation, and police believe he picked up his brother, Katwan Devonte Symonette, after he ran from a murder scene, police said.

On April 22, Katwan Symonette, 20,  was accused of shooting and killing Michael Tryemaine Mosely after an argument on the 2800 block of Northeast 12th Street. He and another man drove away, according to an arrest report. 

Katwan Symonette abandoned the car outside of Gainesville where police found it wiped down and cleaned of evidence, the report said. He hid from police for three days.

Police began investigating Reginald Symonette Jr. after finding out he was in contact with his brother, the report said.

Officers reviewed GPS tracking data from a car Reginald Symonette Jr. rented and found that he drove to the same spot where his brother abandoned his car at the same time it was abandoned, the report said.

More than five months after the murder, police arrested Reginald Symonette Jr. near the Alachua County Fairgrounds, on Northeast 39th Avenue on a charge of being an accessory to murder.

Both brothers are in the Alachua County Jail. Reginald Eugene Symonette’s bond is $512,000.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo