Generic Crime
Generic Crime

An argument over washing dishes ended with a knife drawn, Gainesville Police said.

Emanuel Wiley, 21, was accused of pointing a 12-inch kitchen knife at his roommate, a UF student, Monday inside their Countryside at the University apartment, at 4000 SW 23 St., according to an arrest report. Police arrested Wiley Tuesday night.

During an argument about Wiley not washing dishes, he picked up the knife from the counter and walked toward his roommate while saying, “That’s not my knife,” the report said. He held the knife up like he was going to hurt his roommate, police said.

Wiley’s roommate was surrounded by walls and kitchen appliances, so he had no way to escape, police said. The roommate grabbed Wiley’s arm to keep him from using the knife.

The roommate broke the knife by the handle and tossed the pieces across the room during a struggle. They fought until the roommate was able to run to his bedroom, the report said.

A third roommate confirmed the fight with police, the report said.

Wiley told police his roommate handed him the knife and walked toward him aggressively. He later told police he told his roommate, “I’ll gut you,” the report said.

He was charged with one count of aggravated assault and is being held in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $25,000 bond.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo