Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

Inspire Senator Zachariah Chou didn’t stutter as he crossed the floor to the Senate podium.

He prepared to tell his colleagues why they should vote him into the UF Student Senate’s highest position.

As his laptop clicked in, and his screen enlarged on to the projector, a web page gave way: “World Domination.”

“Ignore that,” Chou said before diving into his presentation.

Some of his colleagues chuckled along with the joke as others looked around the room puzzled.

He continued on. His qualifications? He told the senators, “Peaked in high school.”

His opponent, Impact’s Senate Pro Tempore Michael Murphy, didn’t think it was funny. Murphy became Senate president after a 56 to 21 vote in his favor. Impact Senator Libby Shaw, who ran unopposed, obtained the Pro Tempore spot. Murphy said as president he would take the position as one of the country’s largest student governments seriously, rather than make jokes.

“I will continue to serve in Senate and advocate on behalf of every student,” Murphy said. “My greatest responsibility has been and always will be advocating on behalf of students.”

In her new position, Shaw said she plans to implement mock interviews and resume editing with the UF Career Connections Center for senators applying for involvement positions. She also wants to encourage female senators to apply for chair positions.

“Almost this entire year, the female chairs have outnumbered the male chairs,” Shaw said. “We have some really awesome female leadership in the Senate for other female senators to look up to.”

Inspire’s Daniel Ospina and Impact’s Tony Emmett and Andrea Rangel ran for the two member-at-large seats. Emmett won with 53 to 24 votes and Rangel won with 74 votes.

“I really wanted a way to further my experience and further any effort I could to essentially give back to UF because the past years I’ve been here, I’ve changed so much as a person for the better,” Emmett said.

Contact Angela DiMichele at adimichele@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @angdimi