Local women’s rights group hosts fundraiser to support democratic candidates

<p>Art Crummer, a local folk band, plays “You Are My Sunshine,” while a crowd relaxes on wooden benches. Kelly Hayes / Alligator Contributing Writer</p><p><span> </span></p>

Art Crummer, a local folk band, plays “You Are My Sunshine,” while a crowd relaxes on wooden benches. Kelly Hayes / Alligator Contributing Writer

Yoga classes, boat rides and paintings from local artists were up for auction at Cypress and Grove Brewing Company on Sunday. 

A Democratic campaign fundraising event called “Women’s March Blue Wave Fun Raiser,” raised $4,765 in donations, said Pam Smith, the leader of the local Women’s March chapter. The event, which more than 150 people attended, was hosted by the Women’s March Gainesville and Ocala chapter. 

The money raised will be given to the campaigns of Andrew Gillum, Bill Nelson, Yvonne Hayes Hinson and Jason Haeseler, Smith said.

“I’m hoping that our money can contribute to the democratic message of unity and care for the 99 percent,” she said.

Although the event itself was free, it had a “flea market” and silent auction. Local musical acts, such as Art Crummer and Kelli McGill, also performed. Cilantro Tacos and Humble Wood Fire sold food at the event.  

The only expense for the event was sound equipment, Smith said. Organizations and individuals donated the items sold at the flea market and silent auction.

McGill, a 24-year-old singer, said she’d cast a vote for Gillum in the election on Nov. 6.

“To see someone that looks like me that’s running is inspiring,” McGill said. 

Pat Slattery, a 69-year-old occupational therapist, said, aside from voting, she had not been involved in politics before the 2016 election. But after that she became an engaged activist. 

“After the current president was elected, I signed up for the bus to go to D.C.,” Slattery said. “That was the first step I took.”