Customer, employees react to updated Starbucks rewards program

Starbucks recently announced an upcoming change to its rewards program.

Currently, patrons receive one star per transaction, and Gold-Level members can redeem a reward after earning 12 stars. In April, members will earn two stars for every $1 spent, spokeswoman Aimee Johnson wrote on the company’s blog Monday.

Members will then need 300 stars to reach Gold Level, as opposed to the current 30, and 125 stars for a reward, such as free food or a beverage, Johnson wrote.

Dani Ruadez, a 19-year-old UF anthropology sophomore, said the changes could deter her from using the program.

“I don’t think it evens out because, realistically, the majority of people who aren’t college students… aren’t going to Starbucks every day,” said Ruadez.

Natalia Cuervo, an employee at the Starbucks at Reitz Union, said customers will have to spend double to earn the same rewards. The change also means free publicity, said Cuervo, a 20-year-old UF nursing sophomore.

“I don’t think people are going to stop going,” she said, “and I think I know for a fact that that’s why Starbucks is doing it.”

Johnson said the change is coming after years of customer requests, but Cuervo said she believes the change will hurt customers and employees.

“I feel like as a barista, the way this affects me is this exploits my labor,” said Cuervo, “because, as a barista, Starbucks is going to keep making money and making more money no matter what… my pay is going to stay the same.”