Jay Curtis aims to make Gainesville No. 1 city to start a business

<p>Jay Curtis is running for the at-large Gainesville City Commission seat in District 1.</p>

Jay Curtis is running for the at-large Gainesville City Commission seat in District 1.

After dropping John Travolta off at the Oscars, Jay Curtis didn’t stick around.

He had a City Commission candidate forum to get to.

The part-time pilot will still fly the famed star of “Grease” around even if he’s elected for the at-large Gainesville City Commission seat in District 1 — just not as often.

Curtis said the commission seat is a chance to give back to the city he loves.

Gainesville is where his two children — 8-year-old Grant and 5-year-old Charlotte — go to school. It’s where he fulfilled a childhood dream of playing the bagpipes and where he and his wife, Kathy, 36, plan to spend the rest of their lives.

“I think at some point in life, everyone has to give back to the community,” the 38-year-old said.

One of Curtis’ priorities is developing Gainesville’s appeal as a business city. Armed with prematurely gray hair, an aerospace engineering degree and a master’s degree in business from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, he moved from Ocala to revive University Air Center, which floundered in debt with only 12 employees. 

Curtis increased the annual budget to more than $8 million with more than 50 employees. With two of his most valued employees from East Gainesville, he hopes to make it easier for UF and Santa Fe College students as well as East Gainesville residents to establish their own businesses here.

“My goal is to see Gainesville become the No. 1 city to start a business,” Curtis said.

Part of his plan for development involves lowering energy rates and increasing environmental conservation efforts.

“As an engineer, I’m interested in being as efficient as possible,” he said.

Curtis tries to set an example — he drives a purely electric car, rides his bike to work and uses LED lights.

Though the election marks Curtis’ first encounter with politics, he said he sees his unconventional background as a strength.

“You’re not making political decisions. You’re making analytical, managerial ones,” he said. “Seven people with seven different opinions will make better decisions than seven people who all agree. I think I’ll bring a good balance to the group.”

Having worked five election cycles, Amir Avin, Curtis’ campaign manager, met with all the candidates to get a feel for their personalities and experiences. 

Though the 20-year-old UF finance junior said the race for the at-large seat had the most qualified candidates in recent history, he was drawn to Curtis’ background and humble personality.

“I saw an environmentally conscious Democrat with some business sense who would make good decisions,” Avin said. “I think it’s important Gainesville elects a city commissioner willing to listen, and that’s something Jay is willing to do.”

J. Wayne Reitz Union

655 Reitz Union Drive, UF Campus, Gainesville, FL 32611

Phillips Center for the Performing Arts

315 Hull Road, UF Campus, Gainesville, FL 32611

Florida Museum of Natural History

3215 Hull Road, UF Campus, Gainesville, FL 32611

SFC Center for Innovation & Economic Development

530 W. University Ave., Gainesville, FL 32601

Thelma Boltin Activity Center

516 NE Second Ave., Gainesville, FL 32601

Doyle Conner Building

1911 SW 34th St., Gainesville, FL 32614

Paramount Plaza Hotel

2900 SW 13th St., Gainesville, FL 32608

Early voting is through Saturday at: 

Cone Park Library

Millhopper Branch Library                

Supervisor of Elections Office

Election Day is March 17.