<p>The PDQ store front, as from University Avenue on Tuesday afternoon. PDQ, which stands for People Dedicated to Quality, will open Sunday at 10:30 a.m.</p>

The PDQ store front, as from University Avenue on Tuesday afternoon. PDQ, which stands for People Dedicated to Quality, will open Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

The wait is almost over for the chicken restaurant opening at the intersection of West University Avenue and 34th Street.

PDQ, which stands for People Dedicated to Quality, will have its grand opening Sunday at 10:30 a.m., bringing its casual-style fast food to the Gainesville market.

The restaurant, partially financed by Tim Tebow, offers sit-down, drive-thru, takeout and catering and is even looking into creating a delivery service, said Jeff Kamis, chief marketing and public relations officer at PDQ.

“Our focus is on doing things the right way and from a freshness standpoint,” Kamis said. “Everything is made fresh on site.”

The Tampa-based restaurant will debut its newest spot with family-friendly activities, which in the past have included balloon artists and face painting. 

PDQ also plans to kick off its “shake break” special that allows customers to purchase hand-spun milkshakes every day from 3 to 5 p.m. for half the normal price, Kamis said.

Prices range from a a $5.99 chicken Caesar Salad to a $6.99 four-piece chicken tender meal.

Some UF students plan to visit the restaurant.

“There isn’t a PDQ anywhere near Merritt Island, where I’m from, and the only time I’ve been was when I stayed with a friend in Tampa for Gasparilla,” said Melanie DiLoreto, a 20-year-old UF nursing sophomore. “We all love the food and will definitely go all the time.”

As far as Tebow making an appearance on the opening day, Kamis said he is unsure. 

“He’s been to our restaurants before, and he’s been involved in a lot of community missions especially up in Jacksonville,” he said. “But no word at this point. You never know.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/6/2015 under the headline “Sunday marks end of PDQ chicken wait"]