Repurpose Project moves next door to Satchel's Pizza

The Repurpose Project is moving two doors down from Satchel’s Pizza.

The nonprofit that reuses resources for art, school and household supplies announced Tuesday night that it will set up shop in Mallard’s Upholstery, about 3 miles away from its original location.

"I was emailing Satchel three and a half years ago, and he had mentioned this place. That was before we even started The Repurpose Project," said co-founder Sarah Goff. "So it’s kind of funny how things have worked out."

Plans for the new, bigger building at 1920 NE 23rd Ave. include an in-house workshop and an entertainment venue, which will contain a permanent stage, a deck with seating, a bar area, ample parking and a children and family zone.

"It’s a big undertaking," said co-founder Mike Myers. "This is four times the size of where we’re in now. You couldn’t ask for more."

Kelsey Luksovsky, a 20-year-old UF public relations junior and Repurpose Project intern, said Satchel’s is a far-reaching and influential aspect of the community.

"It will be great to raise awareness about what we do," she said.

The Repurpose Project needs community members to help with the move.To sign up to volunteer, go to repurposeproject.org.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/4/2014 under the headline "Repurpose Project moves"]