‘Sexpert’ gives advice, tips for a healthier sex life

For more than 20 years, Sheri Winston brought babies into the world.

But on Wednesday, the former midwife-turned-sexpert, got into hot and heavy details about how they’re made.

Speaking to about 10 people at Wild Iris Books, Winston, an instructor in “wholistic” sexuality, discussed how to enhance sexual performance and erotic encounters.

The discussion was part of a series on various sexual topics.

“We’re all connected to our sexuality. It’s an empowering experience,” she said. “For some people, sex is great, [but] there are always people who could always be having better sex.”

And for those who struggle in between the sheets, Winston offered encouragement.

“If you don’t speak French, do you feel like you’re broken?” she asked the audience, noting how good sex is a learned skill. “It’s nothing to be embarrassed about if you haven’t figured [sex] out.”

According to Winston, sex in western culture has been vilified as something dirty and taboo.

“I don’t know when it happened, but Barbie turned into a slut,” she said.

She said the concept of sex has been reduced to surface pleasures instead of its intended purpose of fulfilling intrinsic human needs.

“Somewhere along the line, things got really twisted,” said Winston, who attributed a misunderstanding of human anatomy and inaccurate information pertaining to sex. “We lost what sex is and what it can be.”

The key to having good sex, which she called the easiest path to ecstasy, is to have a good relationship with oneself.

She said keeping a positive outlook would help ensure healthy relationships, both friendly and sexual.

She compared good sex to playing a musical instrument, citing practice as an integral part to achieving one’s sexual potential.

“Once you’ve mastered your musical instrument, you can make great music,” she said.

She advised couples to utilize subtle approaches to seduction, such as breath, sound and movement, to increase their sexual performance.

“Twenty years ago, I thought multiple orgasms meant like three,” she said. “Now when I think of multiple orgasms, I think of dozens and dozens.”

Kylie Slavik and Marcela Martinez, Gainesville residents who are partners, said the session was very informative.

“What I liked about it was how she emphasized how relationships take commitment and time - it’s not just to have sex but to create an intimate space,” Slavik said. “She’s pioneering new arenas of sexuality.”

Winston will be giving classes at Wild Iris Books Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Winston will also be hosting a class at the Birth Center of Gainesville on Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The cost of the classes range from $25 to $50.