Student advisory board tours Newell Hall ahead of construction

Susan Webster has wanted to see the historic Newell Hall renovated since her sophomore year at UF.

Now a 21-year-old international relations and business senior, Webster might start to see hints of the construction starting this November.

Webster, along with other members of the Student Advisory Board, toured the gutted Newell Building on Monday morning at 10 a.m. The tour was led by Blake Murphy, 21, chair of the Student Advisory Board, and James Marini, the project manager from Ajax Building Corp.

The renovation will cost about $15 million and is expected to be completed around January 2017, Webster said. The state legislature is providing $10 million in funding. UF is providing the other $5 million.

It will be a library but without the books, she said. Newell will be a 24/7 collaborative space for students — the result of a student survey that goes out every other year. There will also be a cafe.

Over the past six years, students reported that the biggest obstacle for academic success was study space, or the lack of it, said Murphy, a political science and economics senior.

With the Newell Hall transformation, Murphy said, they are hoping to fulfill the needs of the students.

This is the third time the renovation of Newell Hall has come up, Webster said. In the past, there was a lack of funding.

Beginning her sophomore year, Webster, along with other students, lobbied and was finally able to secure the funds to renovate the building.

“You can see how much you can impact the university,” Webster said.

James Marini, the project manager who has also done work on Heavener Hall, said at this point, input is taken into consideration and the layouts can change.

“The building is in the schematic design,” he said.  

One of the things they are keeping in mind is preserving the historic nature of Newell as they improve the building, he added.

The bricks and steel structure of the building have proven difficult in planning air-conditioning and plumbing, Marini said. 

Doors will be added to each side of the building to allow for easy access, Murphy said. A University Police station will be set up on the first floor to help decrease thefts.

Murphy, who will be attending law school, said he’s excited to see the final product and hopes to be present at the grand opening.

“I’m really excited about the idea of having another study area,” he said.