The Social at Midtown celebrates opening

Social at Midtown
Social at Midtown

After months of construction, The Social at Midtown opened its doors to customers for the first time Monday.

On its opening night, more than 600 people showed up to the newly constructed restaurant and bar, located at 1728 W. University Ave., where Gator City once stood.

Surrounded by patrons bobbing their heads to pop music, assistant general manager T.J. Brown said he was happy with how many people showed up on a weeknight.

“It’s been a good turnout,” he said. “We are pleasantly surprised that people are willing to try new stuff.”

Featuring a rooftop bar and 38 beers on draft, the restaurant is hailed by general manager Danny Zeenberg as a step-up from other nearby bars.

“It’s clean and classic,” Zeenberg said.

Zeenberg said there has not been much change at Midtown for the past several years and that he’s excited to give students something new.

With well drinks up to $5 and cocktails as much as $15, Zeenberg said the prices at the Social will be higher than others’, but their quality warrants a hike.

By about 10:30 p.m., he said most of Midtown’s patrons were at his bar, an impressive feat for a Monday.

Hours earlier, at about 4 p.m., Ana Puyana and Luis Rodriguez were among the first few customers inside the restaurant. The 22-year-old friends were drawn to the idea of a rooftop bar.

“It’s different, and it’s big,” Puyana said, who was ordering two gin and tonics. “It like a downtown place in Midtown.”