<p>Summer place Apartments, located at 3361 SW 41 Place. Two people are dead after an apparent shooting.&nbsp;</p>

Summer place Apartments, located at 3361 SW 41 Place. Two people are dead after an apparent shooting. 

A man’s charges of killing two men and kidnapping a woman at an apartment complex last year will remain on hold after the Alachua County Circuit Court found him incompetent to stand in trial.

On March 7, the court ordered Cedric Tremaine Plummer, 25, of Gainesville, to a treatment facility designated by the Department of Children and Families, according to court records. This came after doctors appointed by the defense and state evaluated him to be incompetent for trial in February.

Plummer was facing the death penalty by State Attorney Bill Cervone in April.

Cedric Tremaine Plummer

Cedric Tremaine Plummer

On Feb. 13, 2018, Plummer had an appointment with Jude Onyegbulam Osuji Jr., 28; Robert Earl Brumbaugh, 61; and the office manager in the leasing office of Summer Place Villas apartment complex, at 3316 SW 41st Place, according to a Gainesville Police arrest report.

Plummer had an ongoing argument with the apartment complex’s management for damaging his apartment and not letting them fix it, the report said. Police had been called at least three times because of his aggressive behavior.

When he entered the leasing office, Plummer shot both men and took the office manager to her car at gunpoint and forced her to drive to Georgia, the report said. A Georgia police officer arrested him after noticing the car from an announcement given to several police departments.

William Miller, Plummer’s defense attorney, said the court made the only decision they could concerning the circumstances.

The State Attorney’s Office will decide if it wants to continue pursuing the death penalty when Plummer is ruled competent, said Darry Lloyd, the Eighth Circuit State Attorney’s Office spokesperson.

“If somebody doesn’t truly understand the process, that does not benefit the community,” Lloyd said. “You can’t hold somebody accountable for something if they don’t know what they did.”