Man accused of shooting girlfriend five times after argument

crime
crime

It started with a cheating confrontation and ended in a driveby shooting.

Willie Young

Willie Young

Alachua County Sheriff deputies arrested 60-year-old Willie Young after they say he shot his girlfriend of 10 years five times following an argument Monday, according to an arrest report. UF Health Shands Hospital told deputies the woman was shot once in her abdominal area, three times to her right leg and ankle and once inside her left leg.

Young remains in the Alachua County Jail with a $2.5 million bond on charges of attempted murder and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to county records. 

The woman told deputies she was walking on the 21800 block of Northwest 47th Avenue after she and Young argued about her cheating on him, according to the report. While walking, Young drove up in his truck and began shooting at her.

A witness found the woman sitting outside of the witness’ home covered in gunshot wounds saying her boyfriend shot her, according to the report. A different witness told deputies Young parked the truck behind an abandoned residence and told the witness he “messed up and shot someone in the leg,” but didn’t say who, deputies wrote. 

Deputies noted Young never admitted to shooting the victim later on.

Deputies wrote that both Young and the woman seemed to be intoxicated and weren’t straightforward about what happened, according to the report.