crime tape
crime tape

Gainesville Police charged a man with allegedly attempting to introduce contraband into a county detention facility Tuesday.

Cocaine was reportedly found in the socks of Kevin Thomas, 54, when he was being checked by staff from the Alachua County Jail. According to the GPD report, Thomas was detained due to a warrant for a conditional release violation.

At about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, Thomas was stopped on a bicycle along Northwest Third Avenue for a bicycle light violation. He did not have a rear light or reflector attached to his bicycle, according to the arrest report.

Thomas

The warrant was confirmed during a routine check, and Thomas was then transported to the Alachua County Jail, according to the report. Alachua County Jail staff dressed out Thomas while waiting for warrant information documents from the criminal justice technician.

In between two layers of socks Thomas wore, staff found a small plastic bag containing a white, powdery substance. According to the GPD report, the substance field tested positive for cocaine.

Thomas reportedly stated the substance was aspirin. He allegedly said he carried the cocaine in between his socks because he is “country as hell.”

According to the report, Thomas had multiple chances to reveal any hidden contraband both on scene and prior to entering the jail.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo47@gmail.com.