<p>An unidentified man was struck by an RTS bus Tuesday evening and taken to UF Health Shands in critical condition. The bus was unable to avoid the pedestrian who walked into oncoming traffic, according to Rosanna Passaniti, city spokesperson. </p>

An unidentified man was struck by an RTS bus Tuesday evening and taken to UF Health Shands in critical condition. The bus was unable to avoid the pedestrian who walked into oncoming traffic, according to Rosanna Passaniti, city spokesperson. 

A man who was hit by an RTS bus while crossing the street Tuesday evening, suffered a severe head injury, according to Gainesville Police. 

The man, whose identity isn’t being revealed to the public as of Tuesday night, was struck on 34th Street off 24th Avenue at around 6:30 p.m. and suffered the head injury, said Lt. Steven Bradford of the Gainesville Police Department. 

Bradford said the man was found unconscious and taken to UF Health Shands in critical condition. 

The man was crossing the street eastbound, while the bus was driving southbound.

It is unknown if the man was on the crosswalk, he said. 

Due to the severity of the man’s injuries, Bradford said traffic homicide investigators will look into the incident.

The driver honked its horn to alert a pedestrian who walked into oncoming traffic but was unable to avoid striking the pedestrian, city spokesperson Rossana Passaniti wrote in an email to The Alligator Wednesday.

“The city works to provide safe transportation services to people in the Gainesville area,” Passaniti wrote.

Contact Samia Lagmis at slagmis@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @SLagmis.