Marston Science Library reopened after flooding

<p>Flooding reaching the book stacks at Marston Science Library</p>

Flooding reaching the book stacks at Marston Science Library

Marston Science Library reopened hours after its third floor flooded.

Students were evacuated from the floor Sunday afternoon due to electrical hazards from a flood. The overflow was caused by toilets that were stuffed with toilet paper.

There is currently no suspect behind the flood, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said.

The third floor of the library reopened Monday morning after staff cleaned up, Orlando said. People were relocated to other parts of the library in the meantime.

Orlando was unsure of how many people were evacuated initially and said clean up was done overnight. The biggest damage was on the carpet, but it was vacuumed and dried.

“It wasn’t nearly on the border of magnitude like Criser Hall,” Orlando said, referring to the electrical outage that occurred in the building due to a plumbing leak in August.

It is unknown if the toilet paper used was two-ply or not. Last week, Student Government announced that new two-ply toilet paper would be available in three locations, including Marston Science Library.

Helmut Carter, an 18-year-old UF microbiology and cell sciences freshman, said he was surprised the flooding could even happen.

Carter said he studies at the library three or four times each week. He first heard of the incident last night on Facebook.

“I mean, things happen,” Carter said. “But it’s kinda sucky that whatever damage done to the carpet is ‘cause of some dumb thing someone did.”

Contact Dana Cassidy at dcassidy@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @danacassidy_