New traditions planned for Class of 2019’s graduation

<p dir="ltr"><span> </span></p>

The UF class of 2019 will be saying their goodbyes with a senior send off and Tom Petty’s tunes on May 4.

Traditionally, UF graduation ceremonies are held by individual colleges in the O’Connell Center. This year, seniors are gathering in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium to celebrate the end of their undergraduate careers with unique additions, said UF President Kent Fuchs.

After graduates sing the alma mater after commencement, Tom Petty’s “Won’t Back Down” will be played for graduates.

The song became a staple at UF football games after Petty died in October 2017.

“I hope it becomes a tradition for May graduations,” Fuchs said.

Kennedy Paredes, a 21-year-old UF education senior, said while history should be remembered, the university should evolve with students over time.

“I think old traditions are important, but introducing new ones is also important,” Paredes said. “It creates memories for a new generation.”

Before the commencement ceremony, there will be a senior sendoff, dubbed “Forever Florida,” May 2 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Gator Walk Village at the Stadium, Trevor Pope, the UF senior class president, who is helping organize the event, wrote in an email. There will be free music, food and carnival games.

The event has been in the works since October and is estimated cost is $45,000, Pope said.

“Commencement needed an event that was completely student-focused and student-led,” Pope said.