Newly selected Gainesville city manager was fired from previous position

<p>Lee Feldman</p>

Lee Feldman

Gainesville’s newest city manager has a history that runs counter to the praise he received during Friday’s special meeting. 

On Friday afternoon, Gainesville city commissioners officially chose Lee Feldman as city manager in a 6-1 vote with Commissioner David Arreola in dissent. However, almost a year ago, Feldman was fired from his previous position as city manager of Fort Lauderdale. 

His dismissal wasn’t mentioned in Friday’s meeting. 

Feldman said the Fort Lauderdale City Commission was “focused on a different type of growth for their community” at the time of his firing. 

“They just wanted change, and I was part of that change,” Feldman said.

In October 2018, Fort Lauderdale Mayor Dean Trantalis and City Commissioners Steven Glassman and Ben Sorensen voted 3-2 to fire Lee Feldman as Fort Lauderdale’s city manager. 

According to the Sun Sentinel, he was let go after the city said it was headed in a “new direction.” This came just a few months after the Sentinel reported that Feldman ignored Trantalis’ recommendation to quit.  

Feldman said he left on amicable terms, working until the end of his employment contract for an additional 80 days rather than the usual dismissal of a 60-day-notice. 

“They pointed out when they did let me go, that it wasn't due to any performance issues,” Feldman said. 

Gainesville City Commissioner Helen Warren, who voted in favor of Feldman’s appointment Friday, said she does not believe his firing in Fort Lauderdale was due to “flagrant misconduct.” 

“You know, it wasn't like he was caught with his money in the cash register,” Warren said. “It was just a personality difference with some new commissioners who came on board.”

City of Fort Lauderdale spokesperson Chaz Adams said the city appreciates Feldman’s leadership, dedication and contributions to the city government during his time as city manager. 

“We wish him continued success as he begins a new chapter in his public service career with the City of Gainesville,” Adams said. 

The Alligator called and emailed Glassman and Sorensen multiple times, but neither could be reached for comment. 

Arreola declined to comment on his decision to vote against Feldman’s appointment. During the Friday special meeting, he said that the kind of candidate he is looking for in a city manager simply was not in the available pool. 

He would like to reopen the search for a new city manager, Arreola said during the meeting. 

The city commission and Feldman are still working out the details of his employment contract.

Lee Feldman