November candidates discuss feminism at forum

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-5e3e518e-7fff-67f3-8fe6-886065242234"><span>Five candidates, who will appear on the</span> <span>Nov. 6</span> <span>general election ballot, answered feminist-centered questions at a forum</span> <span>Tuesday</span><span>. The candidates from left to right are: Yvonne Hayes Hinson, Jason Haeseler, Kayser Enneking, Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson and Marihelen Wheeler.</span></span></p>

Five candidates, who will appear on the Nov. 6 general election ballot, answered feminist-centered questions at a forum Tuesday. The candidates from left to right are: Yvonne Hayes Hinson, Jason Haeseler, Kayser Enneking, Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson and Marihelen Wheeler.

The first thing Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson did after applying to run as a Florida state representative was meet with gun shop owners. 

Though she is not an avid gun user, she is hoping to become a representative of the predominantly conservative members of District 10, who told her guns are necessary for hunting and self-protection.

Malwitz-Jipson spoke about gun control and other issues at the Gainesville chapter of the National Organization for Women and Indivisible Gainesville’s forum Tuesday night. The candidates focused on feminism-based questions ranging from taxes on feminine products to affordable healthcare and equal wages at the Alachua County Library District Headquarters.

Candidates included Marihelen Wheeler, a candidate for Alachua County Commission; Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson, a candidate for Florida House representative for District 10; Kayser Enneking, a candidate for Florida Senate District 8; Jason Haeseler, a candidate for Florida House District 21; and Yvonne Hayes Hinson, a U.S. House candidate for Florida’s 3rd Congressional District.  

The organizers first asked what candidates thought the most important issues affecting women today are and what solutions they will implement if they win. 

Enneking proposed that guns be regulated like cars. Polarization around gun control makes conversation difficult, but Enneking said it is important that the dialogue continues. 

“If you want to buy a car, you have it registered. Every car in America is registered,” she said. “So, why don’t we pick a day, and on that day, every gun transaction needs to be registered.”

Wheeler, a candidate for the Alachua County Commission, said she will be the only woman on the County Commission if she wins in November. Among the panel, Malwitz-Jipson said she was the only candidate at the forum not associated with a political party. 

She said she hopes to be a link between predominantly conservative constituents in District 10 to the voters in Alachua County who may have opposing viewpoints.

“You can live without guns, but you cannot live without water,” she said. “And to me, water is so much more important than gun ownership, but (gun ownership) is so important to my district.” 

Melina Farley-Barratt, the Gainesville’s National Organization for Women president, said she invited each candidate’s opponent, some of whom did not show up, and created questions that were female-centered. 

“They’re choosing not to come,” she said. “It really shows where their priorities are, and it’s not feminism.” 

Contact Angela DiMichele at adimichele@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @angdimi