<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-3fe2393e-7fff-aaba-2dce-df14daf29440"><span>Randy James Gillis</span></span></p>

Randy James Gillis

A man wanted for attempted murder was arrested after he was accused of waving a gun in the air early Sunday morning, Gainesville Police said.

Randy James Gillis, 37, of Gainesville, was wanted for stabbing a man at Circle K, at 20 NE Waldo Road, early Wednesday morning, according to a sworn complaint

Police didn’t find Gillis until Sunday, when they received a call about a man waving around a gun on the 1100 block of Northeast First Street, according to an arrest report.

Officers found Gillis standing with a group of six people and told the group to put their hands up. Gillis ran north while police yelled at him to stop, the report said.

Police chased Gillis and found him hiding in the woods at Northeast Park, less than a mile away. After Gillis was arrested, police realized there was a warrant out for his arrest, police said.  

Gillis was accused of stabbing a man during a fight Wednesday morning. The man told police he was sweeping outside in gas station parking lot when Gillis began arguing with him, the complaint said.

The man walked inside Circle K to avoid fighting, but came back outside to continue sweeping.

“I’m going to kill you,” Gillis told him, according to police.

While the two men fought, Gillis pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the torso under his left armpit, police said.

Gillis is charged with resisting an officer without violence and attempted first-degree murder. He is held in Alachua County Jail without bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa

Randy James Gillis