NEWS  |  SFC

Santa Fe College produces Fulbright Scholar

<p>Dan Rodkin</p>

Dan Rodkin

Santa Fe College made a national achievement at a local level.

On Friday, the college announced it is one of 26 associate/baccalaureate U.S. institutions to produce a 2018-2019 Fulbright Scholar, a college or university representative that is awarded a grant to conduct research and or teach overseas, Dan Rodkin, the associate vice president of Santa Fe College, said Santa Fe College President Jackson Sasser.

There are more than 1,100 of these institutions in the U.S., including UF, Sasser said.

The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program is an international, educational exchange program active in over 125 countries throughout the world, Sasser said. The program is funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs through an annual appropriation given by U.S. Congress.

One of Sasser’s first initiatives as president was to internationalize the college when he arrived at Santa Fe 17 years ago. He said it is the best international program for colleges to utilize because it provides funds while connecting cultures and informing participants of different religions, geographies and ways of living.

“We’d like to share what we know and love,” Sasser said.“There’s so much more to be done, but at least we’ve made the progress that we have.”

Rodkin received word about a year ago that he was chosen as a Fulbright Scholar.

Last April, he attended the Community College Administrators Seminar in Russia for two weeks through the program. He visited about a dozen different colleges in three Russian cities.

“Having the Fulbright experience gave us one more way to add value to our students’ lives and to better provide an international experience in the classroom,” Rodkin said.

Dan Rodkin