<p><span>Peter Carpenter will officially start his new role as director of the UF School of Theatre + Dance on July 1. </span></p>

Peter Carpenter will officially start his new role as director of the UF School of Theatre + Dance on July 1. 

NEW DIRECTOR enters stage right.

Peter Carpenter is joining the UF School of Theatre + Dance as its new director on July 1.

“I have seen the performing arts as a potent tool for transformational social change since early in my career, and I look forward to working with faculty, staff and students to explore how these concepts could be developed at the School of Theatre + Dance,” Carpenter wrote in an email.

Carpenter previously worked at Columbia College Chicago, serving as Faculty Senate president, chair of dance and interim chair of theatre.

One of the first things to attract him to UF were the themes the college uses in their work and productions.

“I was impressed by the College of the Arts’ meta-narrative which prioritized transformational change in relationship to diversity, equity and inclusion,” Carpenter said.

He also said it was the devotion UF’s faculty had to help their students that truly connected with him during the interview process.

Jill Sonke, director of the UF Center for the Arts in Medicine, served as the committee chairwoman as the college searched for its new director. The previous director, Jerry Dickey, had stepped down from the position but continues to teach at UF.

“[Carpenter’s] background in both dance and theatre make him uniquely qualified for this job, and so does his passion for preparing students to be great artists and change makers in the world,” Sonke wrote in an email.

Afsheen Misaghi, the sole student on the search committee, is a UF graduate student studying acting in the School of Theatre + Dance.

Misaghi said he made a point of remembering students are the greatest stockholders in the college when the process to find a new director started in early October.

“My biggest thing as a student representative was putting students first,” he said.

Misaghi’s goal was to find someone who would put importance on diversity, equity and inclusion. Carpenter could be the person to lead students through their transformative years, Misaghi said.

Brandon McKinley, College of the Arts public relations specialist, said as director, Carpenter will be in charge of overseeing things like curriculum, fiscal management, program growth, students and faculty.

“He’s charged with providing visionary and practical leadership for the School of Theatre + Dance,” McKinley said.

The headline has been updated to reflect the school's proper title. The Alligator listed otherwise. 

Peter Carpenter dances during a performance. Carpenter, chosen to be the new director of the UF School of Theatre + Dance, has experience in both fields.