Six UF students awarded National Science Foundation fellowships

On July 24, six students at the UF College of Agricultural and Life Sciences received individual fellowships from the National Science Foundation.

The Graduate Research Fellowship Program was created for exceptional students in science, technology, engineering and math pursuing a degree in the U.S. It includes a three-year annual payment of a $34,000 stipend with a $12,000 allowance for tuition and fees. More than 12,000 students applied for the fellowship — only 2,000 received the award.

One of the recipients, wildlife ecology and conservation doctoral student Kimberly Ledger, was excited she didn’t have to stress about finances for the next few years.

“One of the most valuable things about the fellowship for any student is how it allows you to really focus on the research you’re doing,” Ledger said.

Plant molecular and cellular biology student and fellowship recipient Ann Bernert said she is passionate about science and enjoys setting an example for others in her field.

“I hope to continue to encourage my female students to stay in STEM fields and be a role model for some,” Bernert wrote in an email.

In the future, Ledger and Bernert plan on finishing each of their Ph.D.s. Ledger hopes to pursue a career working with students on conservation issues and science skills, while Bernert intends to teach or work in the biotechnology industry.

Follow Dana Cassidy on Twitter @danacassidy_ and contact her at dcassidy@alligator.org.