<p dir="ltr"><span>Southwest 20th Avenue is closed as police negotiate with shooter inside Windsor Terrace apartments.&nbsp;</span></p>
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

Southwest 20th Avenue is closed as police negotiate with shooter inside Windsor Terrace apartments. 

Updates:

6:30 p.m. Sunday: Officer Ben Tobias, a GPD spokesperson, said negotiators convinced the suspect to come outside of his apartment, where he was arrested. He is being taken to the Alachua County Jail where he will processed for possible charges including attempted homicide and aggravated battery.  

6 p.m. Sunday: Gainesville Police has arrested the suspect, whose name will be released later. 

Gainesville Police officers are talking to an armed person inside a Windsor Terrace apartment and have blocked off Southwest 20th Avenue.

The road was blocked between Southwest 34th Street and Southwest 38th Terrace by police patrol cars after police responded to reports of shots being fired at about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, according to GPD press release.

Officer Ben Tobias, a GPD spokesperson, said the shooter got into an argument with a victim. Tobias said the victim and the shooter knew each other. When the argument escalated, the suspect pulled out a gun and fired at the victim multiple times, according to the press release.

Windsor Terrace

Windsor Terrace apartments

The victim was not hit by the gunfire, according to the press release. Police said the suspect retreated into his apartment after the shooting.

When officers arrived, the suspect left the apartment, and police used “less lethal weapons” in an attempt to stop the suspect, Tobias said. Tobias could not confirm what the weapons police used were. The suspect then went back into the apartment, where he has had phone conversations with police negotiators.

Alachua County Sheriff's Office SWAT team vehicles, including an armed hummer and a machine to take down a door, are parked at the Campus USA bank parking lot.