About 30 students danced to salsa and bachata music to raise money for the victims of Hurricane Maria.

After the hurricane hit Puerto Rico in September most of the island was left without power, and some citizens are still having trouble getting proper resources, according to the Washington Post. On Tuesday night, Member Leadership Program, a sub-organization within Hispanic Student Association, hosted the event “Dance On For San Juan” on the Reitz Union North Lawn to raise money for hurricane relief efforts.

Julia Moreno, one of the organizers of the event, said they asked students for $3 donations to participate in an instructional class on salsa and bachata dance taught by Gator Salsa.

“I am supporting the relief because I think it is imperative we as everyday citizens have to fill in when what has been done to help is falling short,” the 19-year-old said. “I have two left feet, but I am up to find the rhythm for a good cause.”

Donations are going to Unión de Estudiantes Puertorriqueños Activos, or UEPA, who will purchase supplies to send to Puerto Rico, said Cristina Martinez, a UF public health sophomore.

“We chose hurricane victims because many people in our HSA community have had direct impacts because of the hurricane,” she said.

Laura Robles-Torres, 19, was born and raised in Puerto Rico and is part of UEPA. When Hurricane Maria barrelled toward the island, she feared for her family’s safety. Though Robles-Torres can send money to her family, she knows others cannot do the same.

“We wanted to show our community how much we appreciate all of their help and donations,” the UF political science sophomore said. “Putting on an event like this on campus helps everyone else realize that my people still need help.”