The ‘Forever Plaid’ musical at the Hippodrome has been extended to July 30

<p dir="ltr">“Forever Plaid,” a musical at the Hippodrome State Theatre, was originally scheduled to run until June 25 but has been extended to July 30 because of its popularity.</p>

“Forever Plaid,” a musical at the Hippodrome State Theatre, was originally scheduled to run until June 25 but has been extended to July 30 because of its popularity.

Suitcases in hand, Jinx, Sparky, Smudge and Frankie walk to the stage.

They are wearing black dress pants, white jackets and plaid bowties — ready to perform a show they were supposed to perform 53 years ago.

The musical, “Forever Plaid,” follows a quartet who died in a car accident and are given the opportunity to perform one last time before going to heaven, said Ansley Pentz, the marketing assistant for the Hippodrome State Theatre.

She said the show, which was originally going to run until June 25, was extended because of its popularity and will run until July 30.

“Each show is very funny,” Pentz said.

Thiago Palma, a UF fine arts masters student, said he saw the musical twice.

He said he went to see a combination of elements: the music, the laughs and the time period the show is set in.

Palma said the music is great and the vocals, accompanied by a bass and piano, are amazing.

“You sit, watch and have a good laugh,” he said.

Matty Colonna, who plays Sparky, said “Forever Plaid” is about four guys who love each other. He said each character has shortcomings that hold them back, but that doesn’t stop them.

“No one’s perfect,” Colonna said of the musical’s message. “We all have stuff we wish we could change.”  

The Hippodrome’s production of “Forever Plaid” is directed by Steven Flaa and stars Nick Endsley, Matty Colonna, Charles Logan and James Gish.

Showtimes are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7 p.m., Fridays at 8 p.m., Saturdays at 5 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Sharon Borneman, a Gainesville-Alachua County Cultural Affairs board member, said the show is one the whole family can enjoy.

“It’s just a fun, foot-stomping musical,” she said.

“Forever Plaid” is centered around four musicians who die in a car accident and are given the opportunity to perform their last show before going to heaven.