crime tape
crime tape

Gainesville Police arrested two men accused of having 49 fraudulent credit cards Thursday night.

At about 5:30 p.m., a GPD officer pulled over a vehicle for following too closely near mile marker 374 on I-75, according to the report. Gilberto Buides, 32, was the driver and Yoelvys Perez, 31, was the passenger.

Buides
Perez

As the officer approached the car window, he noticed a strong smell of cannabis and diesel fuel, according to the report.

When the officer asked for their licenses, he noticed they were extremely nervous and had bloodshot eyes and shaky hands.

The officer searched the car because of the smell and found a 525 gallon fuel tank in the backseat that had about 400 gallons of fuel still inside, according to the report. It isn’t written in the report if any cannabis was found.

Forty-nine fraudulent credit cards were also found, according to the report. Three fraudulent cards were found in Buides’ wallet, two were found in Perez’s wallet, one card was found on the center console and the other 43 cards were hidden under the center console between the driver and passenger.

Buides and Perez were charged with trafficking in counterfeit credit cards and unlawful conveyance of fuel in the car.

Buides remained in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $50,000 bail. Perez was released Friday night on bond, and his original bail was $50,000.

Follow Devoun Cetoute on Twitter @devoun_cetoute and contact him at dcetoute@alligator.org.