UF football player arrested Monday for simple battery

<p>Edwards</p>

Edwards

Florida Gators defensive back Brian Edwards was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of simple battery, according to a Gainesville Police arrest report.

Edwards, 20, is accused of grabbing his girlfriend of two years by the neck, the report said. The incident occurred at an apartment inside The Pavilion On 62nd apartment complex at 1000 SW 62nd Blvd.

The woman attempted to leave the apartment when Edwards grabbed her neck, the report said. A bystanding witness intervened and called 911. Police found marks on the woman’s neck and a scratch on her shoulder.

Edwards was released from Alachua County Jail without bail on his own recognizance.

This was not the first time Edwards was cited in an off-the-field incident.

He was the passenger in Kadarius Toney’s Chevrolet Monte Carlo on July 22 when Gainesville police found an AR-15 registered to Toney in the back seat. Neither Toney nor Edwards were arrested, although Edwards was handcuffed, the police report said.

This is also the second police-related incident for a UF football player in 30 days. Freshman quarterback Jalon Jones was accused of sexual battery by two women on April 6. No charges were pressed, and Jones has since entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Edwards