<p>Students wait to vote in Marston Science Library on Tuesday. </p>

Students wait to vote in Marston Science Library on Tuesday. 

For students who always seem to forget their headphones and chargers at home, a new Student Government initiative might be their saving grace.

Students can now check out more academic supplies from Marston Science Library and can soon do the same at Library West. SG made a $550 donation to stock libraries with products like engineering paper, microfiber screen cloths and an expanded inventory of previously offered items.

Marston has already begun to offer the new supplies and Library West will unroll the new resources by Sep. 3, said Chad Alpaugh, the circulation manager at Library West.

The initiative is meant to offer students materials they may not otherwise have access to, Student Body President Ian Green said.

“You should be able to rent any resource that will enhance your academic experience,” Green said.

The supplies vary by location. Marston Science Library received donations of lab goggles, scientific calculators and graphing paper. Library West will have financial calculators, headsets for audio recording and charging cables.

While some supplies must be checked out at the circulation desk with a Gator 1 Card, others may be kept permanently free of charge, like the lab goggles and microfiber screen cloths, said Amanda Kane, a Marston Science Library access services assistant.

Not everyone is aware of these resources, said Taylor Halpin, a 19-year-old UF Japanese and health sciences freshman.

“For people who don’t have have finances to go out and buy them it’s great to have this close and available,” Halpin said.

Contact Gillian Sweeney at gsweeney@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @gilliangsweeney