UF student athlete arrested after striking ex-boyfriend in the face, university police say

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-8afbdb57-15dd-e001-c3e6-ed739dffe264"><span>Emma Reade Whitner</span></span></p>

Emma Reade Whitner

A UF diver was arrested Tuesday after police said she slapped her ex-boyfriend multiple times in the parking lot next to James G. Pressly Stadium.

Emma Reade Whitner, an 18-year-old UF exploratory freshman and diver on UF’s 2017-18 Women’s Swimming & Diving team roster, was in the parking lot at about 3 a.m. with her ex-boyfriend when she began striking him on the face with her open hand, according to a University Police arrest report.

Hunter William Tres Santiago, 21, told police the two were verbally arguing before Whitner struck him. Police noticed multiple red marks and scratches on Santiago’s face, according to the report.

Both Whitner and Santiago told police they had been dating for about a year and a half before breaking up about three months ago, according to the report.

Whitner was taken to the Alachua County Jail shortly after her arrest, where she was released on her own recognizance at about 1:17 p.m. Tuesday.

She faces a charge of battery.

Whitner, who graduated in May from Lake Highland Preparatory School, committed to UF last Fall, according to a YCF Diving Central Florida Facebook post.

“The UAA is aware of this situation, and it is being handled internally,” wrote Katie Callahan, a UF Swimming & Diving spokesperson, in an email.

Whitner declined to comment.

Emma Reade Whitner