crime tape
crime tape

A man was shot early Saturday morning after reportedly being involved in a dispute near UF campus. Gainesville Police is currently searching for the shooter, according to a press release.

Officers were patrolling West University Avenue when they heard a shot fired shortly after 3 a.m. When they arrived on scene near Kava Hookah Lounge, located at 1007 W. University Ave., a man was found lying outside.

The man reportedly suffered from a single gunshot wound to his side, GPD spokesperson Officer Ben Tobias said. GPD is still waiting for confirmation from hospital reports.

According to a preliminary investigation, the victim allegedly pulled out a gun after having a dispute with an unidentified person. The victim then reportedly went after another person when he was shot in the side by an unknown person.

The unidentified shooter fled the scene before GPD arrived, which began deploying its issued trauma kits. It’s unknown if the shooter fled by foot or vehicle, Tobias said. The victim was transported to a hospital by Gainesville Fire Rescue and Alachua County Fire Rescue.

As of Saturday morning, the man was in the intensive care unit. His current condition is unknown, Tobias said, and his identity has yet to be released.

GPD has not yet confirmed any description of the suspect, Tobias said.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.