Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A woman accused of almost mowing down three people, including a baby in a stroller, said police got the story wrong.

Phaedra Aricia Coleman, 36, of Gainesville, was accused of almost hitting them with her SUV after an argument on the 200 block of Southwest Sixth Avenue, near Southwest Second Street, Tuesday afternoon, according to an arrest report. No one was injured.

After arguing with a woman, Coleman got in her car while yelling, “B----, imma kill you,” the report said.

The woman was standing next to her parked car with another woman, who had her baby in a stroller, about 30 feet away from Coleman’s driveway, the report said. Coleman backed up her SUV quickly and drove full speed toward the woman she had an argument with, the report said.  

The baby’s mother ran away from the car into the road with the stoller to avoid Coleman’s SUV. The woman Coleman argued with moved to the passenger side of her car and pulled out her legally concealed gun from her pants pocket, the report said.

When Coleman saw the gun, she stopped her car, backed up and pulled into her driveway, police said. Coleman called 911 to tell police about the gun.

Coleman does not know the victims, the report said.

When reached after her arrest, Coleman said the woman who accused her began berating and threatening her when she got home. When Coleman got in her car to pick up her son from high school, people crowded her car and the woman pulled out a gun, she said.

Coleman went inside her house and called the police with her daughter, she told The Alligator. She denied trying to hit people with her car.

“What’s the point of calling the police if I’m the one to go to jail?” she said.

Coleman was charged with three counts of aggravated assault. She was released from Alachua County Jail Wednesday afternoon on a $30,000 bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa