Generic Crime

A woman reported that she was sexually battered Saturday night near Fraternity Row, University Police said.

The 24-year-old woman, who is not a UF student or faculty member, reported the battery to police Sunday afternoon, according to a UPD alert email to students. 

The woman told police she went to Midtown with friends Saturday evening, the release said. She left Midtown at about 9:30 p.m. and walked on UF’s campus. The last thing she remembers is walking near Fraternity Row, police said.

The suspect is a 5-foot-7 man in his early 20s of average build with dark hair and minimal facial hair, police said.

The investigation is ongoing. UPD emailed a warning to students Tuesday afternoon about the incident.  

Anyone with information about the suspect can call UPD at 352-392-1111. Those who want to remain anonymous can call Alachua County Crime Stoppers at 352-372-STOP.

The last time UPD released a warning about a sexual battery near campus was in March 2018. A UF student got into a car she believed was an Uber she ordered and was battered after she was left on the side of U.S. Highway 441, police said. 

Contact Amanda Rosa at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa

Amanda Rosa is a third-year journalism major from Miami Beach, FL. As the crime reporter, she covers breaking news and crime in Gainesville and the University of Florida. She loves drawing, reading and drinking too much coffee.