Young the Giant and Joywave to perform free concert at UF

Heather Sundar has been listening to Young the Giant since her freshman year of high school. Now the a 20-year-old UF information systems junior get to see the band for the first time for free next week.

Alternative rock bands Young the Giant and Joywave will perform a free concert at 7 p.m on Sept. 7 at Flavet Field, Student Government Productions Chairman Andrew Kelly wrote in an email. The bands will perform for UF Student Government Production’s “Rock-The-Vote” concert, which promotes civic engagement and voter registration.

Sundar saw the event on Facebook and immediately told her roommate to come with her, she said.

“I was hyped. We’re so excited,” she said.

The headliner Young the Giant will be paid $78,000, while Joywave will be paid $20,000, from student activity fees.

UF External Affairs and Chomp the Vote are co-sponsoring the show, Kelly said. The concert is open to the public and gates open at 6 p.m.

The group chose Young The Giant and Joywave to continue its tradition of hosting a rock show in the Fall, Kelly said.

The event will be hosted earlier than usual Fall concert. SGP decided to move the concert to September since Gator Growl is in November, Kelly wrote in an email. The All-American Rejects performed in November 2016, according to Alligator archives.

Sundar said Young the Giant is just another blast from her past.

“Last time they invited All-American Rejects, which was a childhood favorite,” she said. “The fact that they keep catering specifically to me is really cool.”

Sundar appreciates the concert as an opportunity to encourage voting, she said. Although she voted during Tuesday’s primary election, she said most of her friends didn’t.

“It’s a great way to get voting on more students’ radars,” Sundar said.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa