UF’s campus is full of nature and, with it, sustainability efforts to protect it.
There’s the Office of Sustainability, protected natural areas and extensive major and minor studies and classes concerning environmental issues or topics like sustainability, wildlife, agriculture, reporting and more.
The signature live oak trees stand alongside Albert and Alberta, Century Tower, Gothic-style brick buildings and more as key elements that make UF’s campus.
These trees that are perfect for hammocking can often be under-appreciated or taken for granted.
Almost a year ago when hurricanes struck Gainesville, the historic tree in front the New Physics Building met its end. Riding past it on my 120 bus route down Museum Road, I noticed its missing place.

That was an obvious change leaving a big empty space. But you can notice flyers littering Turlington Plaza and plastic bottles clogging campus trash cans if you look closely.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was a fierce environmental advocate for Florida ecosystems. She once said “you can't conserve what you haven't got.”

I think Gainesville is a city that innately has this mentality. A short drive away from Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park, Gainesville is a highly ranked bike-friendly city that is also known as Tree City USA. UF has this identity too with some of its earliest education dealing with agriculture. The Office of Sustainability and UF continue this legacy.

And it’s a legacy I didn’t realize how connected I was to until recently. My grandma told me her aunt, who lived in Gainesville, was married to a UF professor of 30 years who worked in the Soils and Water Science Department. I couldn’t believe the story since I only knew about my parents going to and meeting at UF.

Thanks to family stories, I realize I am able to enjoy some of the same spaces they did because of conservation and sustainable practices.
Sustainability is everywhere on campus: the notices for recycling and electricity in dorms, water refill and bike repair stations and compostable paper towels in the bathrooms. You can find out about initiatives and how to go green across campus at the Office of Sustainability’s site.

UF is recognized for many environmental achievements like an Audubon International certification. The master plan for campus includes conservation elements to preserve the unique ecosystems across campus. There are 31 conservation areas, some available to explore like walking trails or Lake Wauburg.

Part of UF culture seems to be appreciating nature and community.

Nature meets indoors as vines climb brick and windows overlook green spaces. Students convene at Krishna lunch on the Plaza of the Americas or study hanging in a hammock by Lake Alice. UF bucket list items include plenty of nature and should include participating in some sort of preservation project, like working in the Field and Fork Pantry garden or participating in a Sustainability UF event so future students can continue to enjoy the natural spaces that give UF its name: The Swamp.

As the tune goes, “in all kinds of weather” people across campus work to sustain campus and its natural history and environment through education, conservation and clean-ups.

Sophie Feinberg is a UF journalism junior. Her column comes out Tuesday and Thursday.