Midterm season is once again upon us, with students crowding the libraries and other public spaces preparing for those all-important examinations. For those of you who still have some exams to take, you may be wondering how you can best get ready for midterms. Where should you study? What are good methods to help remember the material? What can I do to ensure my success? Well, have no fear, because this column is here to help.

First, before you start studying, you need to decide where to study. Although some choose to study in their dorm or apartment, many others study in the UF libraries. Studying in the libraries is always a good choice, but those who do study in the libraries often notice how full they get during midterm season. That’s why you need to get a little creative. Although the main floors of Library West and Marston Science Library are both popular, they can be noisy and crowded. For a quieter atmosphere, consider going to the quiet floor of the library (fourth floor for both Library West and Marston). How crowded they are can vary, but they’re always calmer and less crowded than the bustle of the main floor. You can also avoid the main libraries altogether and go to the lesser-known libraries. The Grand Reading Room in Smathers East is a magnificent, quiet spot for studying, and elsewhere in Smathers East, you can also find a quiet space in the Latin American Collection. In the Architecture and Fine Arts Library, you can not only find a quieter and less-crowded study space, but also a unique system of double-decker, bunk bed-like stacks of study spaces, with ladders allowing you to reach the upper study cubicles. If you want to feel like a kid again, the Architecture and Fine Arts Library is for you.

However, finding a place to study is only half the battle. You still need something to do once you get there. So, here are a few tips on how to study. First, make some flashcards for yourself. Although making flashcards may seem like cliché advice, it really works, and it can help you review the material and alert you to things you need to go over more. Another solid method is to try teaching the material to someone else. Whether you do it in a study group, enlist your roommates or just talk to your pillow, saying the material aloud and going through what you think is the best way to teach it makes it more likely you’ll remember the material. And speaking of studying in groups, that can be effective too, but be sure to choose the right study group. A good study group will stay focused on the material and work together to figure things out, while still allowing a bit of levity. A bad study group, however, will be all levity, with a group that’s constantly joking around and going off-topic. What good is a study group that never does any actual studying? Make sure you find a study group that is responsible and focused.

After you’ve done your studying, it’s time to take the exam. If you’re taking your exam in-person, be sure to arrive on time or even early; just like with class, it’s always better to arrive early instead of late. Give yourself some extra time to get there in case of traffic or delays. If you’re taking an online exam through ProctorU, a private desk in a private room would be ideal. However, if you don’t have your own room, don’t fret! Library West has booths that can be rented specifically for ProctorU exams. To rent a ProctorU booth, go to ufl.libcal.com/reserve/ProctorU, and next to any of the six booths, click the light blue boxes (which represent the available times) that correspond to the time of your exam. Each box represents 30 minutes, and you can rent a booth for a maximum of three and a half hours at a time. However, the best times can fill up quickly during exam season, so reserve early.

With these tips in hand, you are now ready to face down your midterms. So grab your textbooks, flip over those flashcards and pass that exam.

Jason Zappulla is a UF journalism and history junior. His column appears on Mondays.