I am writing in regard to the article “City commissioners aim to power Gainesville on 100 percent renewable energy.”

I applaud the Gainesville city commissioners for their unanimous vote to power our city with 100 percent clean renewable energy by 2045. This step, also taken by St. Petersburg, Orlando and Sarasota, makes sure we are doing more to protect our community’s health and mitigate the worst impacts of climate change.

However, UF has missed a great opportunity to lead by example.

All across the country, colleges and universities are making the pledge to go 100 percent renewable and to be leaders in protecting our climate. Because UF is one of the top research universities in the country with an outstanding environmental science and environmental engineering program, I am disappointed by the lack of action taken by my alma mater.

There has yet to be a school in the state of Florida to make this pledge, and UF should be the first. We are first in the state in academics, research and athletics. Now it’s time to be first in green energy. I hope that President Kent Fuchs will make the pledge for our school.

Jenna Stevens is a UF alumna.