Access Party President addresses students

UF students,

My name is Matthew Hoeck, and I serve as the Access Party president. Our party was formed with the belief that the best form of government is one in which every student, regardless of background or circumstance, has the opportunity to achieve anything they want on campus. We believe Student Government should serve 100 percent of the Student Body, and we’re here to to make a difference. We lead by principle — not by calculation, but by conviction.

This is the kind of party that UF needs right now. A party that offers real, meaningful change, not just change as an idea. I represent a party that intends to lead on a simple message: You matter to us; your future is our future. We are a party that believes we are only a strong university if everyone is given the opportunity to live up to their potential.

Since our party’s creation a few weeks ago, thousands of students have expressed a passion for the ideals Access represents. For a new party to have such a high level of support speaks to the enthusiasm and hunger within our Student Body for something new. I could not be prouder of our candidates, who truly encapsulate the rich diversity of The Gator Nation.

Our executive ticket and Senate candidates have the experience, dedication and passion to make life here at UF better for all of you. We are committed to fundamentally changing SG through accessibility, affordability, and accountability for every Gator. Our plan for accessibility includes everything from online voting and 24-hour Marston Library hours, to gender neutral single-stall bathrooms and a Chief Diversity Officer. Accountability begins with cutting SG officials’ salaries; making Docutraq, the SG financial system, public; and reforming Senate constituency requirements. As for affordability, we plan to decrease student fees for graduate students as well as lobby against tuition hikes and for summer Bright Futures scholarships.

For far too long, SG has taken your vote for granted. After all, less than 20 percent of students vote. Today is your chance to have a say in how SG spends about $2,000 of your money.

Voting will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. today and Wednesday.

If you’re interested in volunteering or learning more, or you wish to speak to a representative about Access Party, visit ufaccessparty.com or feel free to email us at ufaccessparty@gmail.com.

Matthew Hoeck

UF Access Party president