Picture this: a lit stage, a buzzing crowd sat in darkness. You’re dressed in some fancy attire and are about to speak in front of a large audience. All eyes are about to be on you. You start to get nerves about your nerves. Is being nervous normal? Is it okay for your knees to be weak, your palms to be sweaty and there to be vomit on your sweater already? Yes. The best way to get over nerves is to rehearse, and when you think you’ve practiced enough, double down.

Public speaking is a common fear. In fact, about a quarter of Americans fear public speaking, according to The Washington Post. In surveys, Americans list public speaking higher on the fear list than death itself. Fear of public speaking is not only common, it may be ingrained into our DNA. According to Glenn Croston, a biochemist who has studied how humans see risk around us, fear of public speaking stems from the fear of rejection and solitude. When we stand to speak in front of others, alone on that brightly lit stage, we are acutely aware of how others are judging us. That fear of judgment is rooted in a fear the group will ostracize us, which among early humans was a death sentence — no one can survive on their own when hunted by large predators. We fear public speaking because we fear loneliness and the danger that comes with it.

The best way to overcome that fear is to rehearse. If you’re looking to get a quick and easy answer on how much time you should spend preparing for your speech, you won’t get it. There isn’t a formula. But, there are some factors you should consider.

First, you should know it’s rare to come up with a smooth speech quickly on a topic you’re unfamiliar with. The more alien the topic, the more you’ll have to prepare. That might be a bit misleading for people going into job interviews; you will obviously be familiar with your own job history, but you’ll need to put in extra work to go over your specific qualifications for that job.

Second, it depends on the length of your speech. More speaking time requires more prep time.

Most importantly, however, you probably haven’t prepared enough. According to speaking coach Andrew Hennigan, who coaches speakers for TEDxStockholm, most people severely underestimate the amount of time needed to prepare for their speech. The best way, he says, to get over your nerves, over the biting sensation in your churning stomach, is to over-prepare. Start months in advance and rehearse your speech more than a dozen times.

Luckily, people aren’t too judgmental, and even if you are judged, you won’t be cast out like a leper and get eaten by a lion. Not convinced? There are concrete things you can do to improve your skills right here at UF like taking SPC2608, “Intro to Public Speaking,” and visiting the Public Speaking Lab in Rolfs Hall.

Your event will go fine as long as you prepare. It’s the only thing standing between you, a half-hearted speech and an encore appearance of mom’s spaghetti.

Stephan Chamberlin is a UF political science junior. His column comes out Tuesday and Thursday.