The number of opinions sections over the last two months has decreased. You might’ve noticed that. 

And we feel we owe you an explanation, especially in regard to this semester’s Student Government election. For the first time in a long time, The Alligator’s Editorial Board has chosen to not endorse a political party or a set of executive candidates.

This goes back to Spring 2019; when The Alligator launched a survey about what you all, our readers, wanted more of and wanted us to improve on. One of those things was our opinions section.

Our audience told us loud and clear: they didn’t want to hear our opinion anymore, and they wanted more news stories. So, this semester, we don’t have a consistent opinions section, and that’s because we wanted to dedicate space to impactful pieces and more news stories.

We feel that the diverse voices that letters to the editor and opinion columns bring are important. So, we’re still taking them. Send your pitches and letters to us at letters@alligator.org.

Still, that leads us to our lack of an SG endorsement. We felt it was important for us to dedicate more time and space to stories that would better inform you, rather than tell you who we think you should vote for.

That being said, voting for your SG officials — whoever you think best represent your interests — is important to do. On the last day of voting in this year’s SG elections, we hope you take at least five minutes to make that choice.

SG represents your interests as students, and you should make your voice heard. The people you pick manage a budget of more than $21 million from your student fees.

In the last two semesters, The Alligator has produced ambitious reporting that has held SG accountable. We hope it’s better informed your choices.

We reported on how Progressive Party, an emerging third SG party fell apart nine days after campaign season began. Most Senate and executive candidates resigned after an audio clip some deemed as transphobic from the presidential candidate was leaked on Facebook.

We’ve written about the resignations of prominent figures in Inspire Party. You found out that the Freshman Leadership Council, an SG agency, never commenced last semester. You heard that no SG legislation had been passed by the beginning of November. 

Without our reporting, you wouldn’t have known about why people were protesting for blue lights on Fraternity Row. You wouldn’t have known about the attempt to impeach our Student Body president. That was after The Alligator published a story about an email between him and a national financial consultant for Trump Victory after Donald Trump Jr. and Kimberly Guilfoyle spoke at UF for $50,000 of your student fees.

Our reporting is tenacious. It’s the truth. And we feel that it should stand on its own.

The Alligator’s Editorial Board is made up of Christina Morales, the editor-in-chief; Lina Ruiz, the digital managing editor; and River Wells, the engagement managing editor.