<p>Floyd Mayweather Jr., right, fights Conor McGregor in a super welterweight boxing match Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)</p>

Floyd Mayweather Jr., right, fights Conor McGregor in a super welterweight boxing match Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/Isaac Brekken)

Floyd Mayweather defeated Conor McGregor by technical knockout on Saturday.

For those that live under a rock and haven’t seen the fight or the results, I just spoiled it for you. I’m not sorry. You missed one hell of a match.

For those who think that Mayweather is now the undisputed best fighter in the world, I wouldn’t be so sure. After that battle, I would say McGregor holds that honor.

To further prove my point, I’m going to say that even in defeat, he was the real winner. And there are a lot of reasons why.

To start, he’s not a boxer. He’s not trained in the sport and chose to spend his youth learning how to become an MMA fighter instead. Those fighting styles are completely different, as one is just throwing punches and the other is full of grapples, submissions, punches and kicks.

McGregor got to show the world that he is a cross-platform athlete and instantly became one of the biggest attractions on the planet by delivering one of the best boxing matches in recent history. He was already popular before, but he earned the respect of both MMA and boxing fans alike.

For McGregor to step into the ring in a sport he doesn’t compete in regularly is amazing to begin with.

I know he lost the fight (and nearly lost his career in the process), but after watching them go at it for nearly 30 minutes, I was impressed with the Irishman. He came out swinging in the first three rounds, making “Money” Mayweather look like a scared child trying to hide from a monster in his closet while landing some powerful hits.

Even as Mayweather started to take over, McGregor was never really out of it. He kept jabbing away, connecting on a few hits while trying to avoid getting fatigued.

Getting tired is understandable. An MMA championship fight that goes full distance is only 25 minutes (five rounds, five minutes each). In boxing, a full-length fight is 36 minutes (12 rounds, three minutes each). McGregor wasn’t even in his element and he managed to stay in the fight nearly five minutes longer than he should’ve.

In the end, the UFC fighter got punched in the face a few too many times, and the referee had no choice but to call the bout.

But this begs the question, what would happen if the fight didn’t happen in a boxing ring? What if it was in the octagon instead?

This is where I make my case that Conor McGregor is the best fighter.

McGregor lasted 10 rounds against the best boxer in the world in a sport he isn’t familiar with. Now imagine what would happen if Mayweather did the same?

He wouldn’t stand a chance. Making the same argument that those who doubted McGregor made, Mayweather would be in a fight he has no idea how to win.

Just like how he won this contest by knockout, I believe McGregor would either do the same or win by submission. And he’d do it in nearly half the time, too.

Mayweather-McGregor lived up to the hype, and as someone who is still pumped over how it played out, I want to see them fight again.

Switch it up a bit this time. Make Mayweather-McGregor, Part II, a UFC fight in the octagon. Bill it as the rematch of the century but this time in a new platform.

Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor, Dana White, make it happen.

Look out for Jake Dreilinger’s next column to appear on Sept. 6. You can follow him on Twitter @DreilingerJake, and contact him at jdreilinger@alligator.org.