Florida beats USF to conclude non-conference schedule

McConnell
McConnell

Nick Pogue’s first start of the season resulted in a win. The freshman right-hander threw five scoreless innings and the Florida baseball team held a five-run lead over South Florida when he exited.

The Gators defeated the Bulls 7-3 on Tuesday behind Pogue’s effort to split the season series 1-1.

Neither team scored in the first two innings. Shortstop Brady McConnell broke the scoreless tie with an RBI double in the third inning to give UF a 1-0 lead.

Florida (29-21) scored four more runs in the following two innings, including a home run by third baseman Cory Acton, his fourth of the season.

Pogue threw five lights-out innings, allowing just two hits and striking out four batters. Christian Scott relieved Pogue for UF and allowed two runs in the sixth inning on back-to-back hits -- a double by first baseman Joe Genord and a single by left fielder Andrew Chatfield.

The Gators responded in the seventh inning with a home run from right fielder Wil Dalton, his sixth of the season.

After the Bulls (23-24) added a run in the top of the eighth, center fielder Jud Fabian smashed Florida’s third home run of the game to right field for the team’s seventh and final run.

The Gators narrowly outhit the Bulls (10-9) but Pogue clearly won the duel on the mound: USF starter Noah Yager allowed five runs in five innings on seven hits and struck out just one batter.

The Florida bullpen was solid behind its starter. Following Scott, Ben Specht allowed just one run in 3.2 innings on five hits and struck out five batters. Specht also earned his first save of the season.

Pat Doudican allowed one run in relief for USF in two innings on the mound and Dylan Burns did the same in just one inning.

McConnell continued to be Florida’s best option at the plate. The sophomore finished the night 3 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored, but he did have two strikeouts. McConnell leads all starters with a .360 batting average.

Dalton was the only other UF batter with a multi-hit night, going 2 for 3 with two runs scored and an RBI.

Florida finished its non-conference slate with a 20-6 record and has a 25-9 record in Gainesville with a home series against Tennessee still to play.

Follow Kyle Wood on Twitter @Kkylewood. Contact him at kwood@alligator.org.