<p>Starter Tyler Dyson allowed just&nbsp;<span id="docs-internal-guid-ac212f12-7fff-59ed-8d52-9e1d93c3605a"><span>two hits in five innings in his first win of the season. He finished with a season-high six strikeouts in the Gators' 16-4 win over Winthrop on Friday night.</span></span></p>

Starter Tyler Dyson allowed just two hits in five innings in his first win of the season. He finished with a season-high six strikeouts in the Gators' 16-4 win over Winthrop on Friday night.

Junior right-hander Tyler Dyson had his best start of the season on Sunday, commanding the strike zone by allowing just one walk after giving up nine combined in his previous three outings. His performance helped No. 5 Florida to a 4-3 victory over the Yale Bulldogs to preserve a weekend sweep at Alfred A. McKethan Stadium.

Earlier this week, coach Kevin O’Sullivan made the decision to plug in Dyson as the Sunday starter from the Friday spot after a shaky start to the season.

Dyson pitched 5.1 innings, giving up six hits and three earned runs along with two strikeouts.

“He told me on Tuesday I was going to be starting on Sunday,” Dyson said. “I just took it as another start. I just gotta be ready whatever day it is to throw.”

The junior looked more confident on the mound, not falling behind in counts by hurling strikes early and often.

“I felt good out there today,” Dyson said. “Probably the best I’ve felt all season.”

Florida did just enough offensively to back up Dyson and fend off a feisty Bulldogs team down the stretch.

In the bottom half of the first, UF (13-5) took the early advantage after sophomore first baseman Jordan Butler lined one over the jumping attempt of Yale shortstop Simon Whiteman.

Butler’s hit scored senior designated hitter Nelson Maldonado and sophomore shortstop Brady McConnell to give Florida an early 2-0 lead over Yale.

Freshman center fielder Jud Fabian did the rest from the plate for the Gators.

He went 2 for 3, hitting two solo home runs, one in the second inning and one in the fourth. His four home runs this season are the most on the team.

“Our scouting report was just to see the ball off of that guy because he has sink,” Fabian said. “He threw me two fastballs up, and I hit him.”

In the top half of the sixth, Yale (3-7) cut the lead to 4-3 off one swing of the bat from freshman designated hitter Jake Gehri.

Gehri smashed a 1-2 pitch from Dyson over the left field wall — his second of the game — to end Dyson’s day.

Redshirt freshman Hunter Ruth took over and delivered 3.2 innings of scoreless baseball, giving up just one hit while striking out five for Florida.

Ruth ended his outing by recording his first save of the season, striking out the side in the bottom of the ninth.

“I definitely thought (Nolan) Crisp had the potential of coming in,” Ruth said referring to the decision to pitch him in the ninth. “(O’Sullivan’s) been trying to put a lot of pressure situations on me, and we wanted to see if I could handle it…I absolutely wanted to pitch the ninth, there’s no doubt.”

The Gators are now 11-1 in weekend games, and the team is hoping to capitalize off of the momentum it has generated as the conference play portion of the season begins soon.

Follow Evan Lepak on Twitter @evanmplepak and contact him at elepak@alligator.org.

Florida Sunday starter Tyler Dyson pitched 5.1 innings during UF's 4-3 win over Yale. He allowed six hits and three earned runs while striking out two batters.