<p>Caleb Brantley watches as linebacker Antonio Morrison is carted off the field during Florida's 28-20 win in the Birmingham Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, at Legion Field.</p>

Caleb Brantley watches as linebacker Antonio Morrison is carted off the field during Florida's 28-20 win in the Birmingham Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015, at Legion Field.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Antonio Morrison went down hard on Saturday.

At the beginning of the second quarter in Florida’s 28-20 victory against East Carolina in the Birmingham Bowl, the junior linebacker injured his left knee attempting a tackle and did not return to the game.

"I can’t say enough about that kid," UF interim head coach D.J. Durkin said following the game. "He’s very special to me. We’ve been together here the whole time. Whatever it is, how serious it is, I know one thing. There’s not a tougher guy in this country than Antonio. So whatever it is, he’ll bounce back from it and be back playing 100 percent somewhere sometime soon."

Morrison finished the season with 101 total tackles, becoming the first UF defensive player to crack the century mark since Ahmad Black recorded 108 in the 2010 season.

An a-Maye-zing closing: Marcus Maye had a field day on Saturday.

The redshirt sophomore defensive back recorded a team-high-tying eight tackles — seven of which were solo stops — and a game-best two pass breakups against ECU.

"I was trying to make plays, and coach was putting us in the right positions," Maye said. "I was just out there to do my job and knock down as many balls as I could."

Maye finished the season with 62 tackles — including a team-high 38 unassisted stops — five pass breakups, two forced fumbles and an interception.

T-Rob to Auburn: Secondary coach Travaris Robinson has rejoined forces with Will Muschamp.

Auburn University announced on Saturday that the UF defensive backs coach will join the Tigers staff to the same position.

Robinson played college football at Auburn from 1999-2002 and spent the last four years as Florida’s secondary coach under Muschamp.

"Auburn has provided me so many opportunities and I’m excited to be able to give back to a place that has meant so much to me," Robinson said in a news release. "I have a lot of respect for Coach (Gus) Malzahn and I’m looking forward to working for him. My family and I are glad to be back home."

During each of his four years at UF, Florida’s defense ranked in the top 30 in opponent passing efficiency, peaking at No. 2 in the 2012 season.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126