<p dir="ltr"><span>Florida pitcher Kelly Barnhill struck out 11 batters and allowed just two hits during UF’s 7-1 win over USF on Sunday at the USF Opening Weekend Invitational.</span></p>
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

Florida pitcher Kelly Barnhill struck out 11 batters and allowed just two hits during UF’s 7-1 win over USF on Sunday at the USF Opening Weekend Invitational.

The Florida Gators never defeated Arizona State in Tempa, Arizona. They were tasked with taking down the 14th-ranked hosts in the second leg of a double-header at the Littlewood Classic on Friday.

No. 4 Florida defeated Illinois State for the second time this season, this time 2-1. It followed with a 7-2 victory over the Sun Devils to remain undefeated on the 2019 campaign. It’s the team’s third win of the season over a top-25 opponent.

Escape from Illinois State

The Gators (8-0) struggled offensively, but they made up for it with excellent performances from their pitchers.

The UF offense produced just two runs for starter Natalie Lugo and closer Kelly Barnhill, and that’s all the hurlers needed.

Lugo pitched five perfect innings before allowing a pair of baserunners and run in the sixth, and Barnhill shut down the Redbirds’ offense by striking out the side in the top of the seventh.

Lugo, a sophomore from West Covina, California, looked comfortable in the circle back on Pacific Coast time. She retired the first 15 batters she faced, striking out five in that span.

Lugo walked catcher Ellie Weltha to start the sixth inning, and the Redbirds’ first base runner would come around to score. A two-out double by designated player Shannon Felde down the left-field line brought Weltha home and put Illinois State (0-8) down by one.

UF scored its only runs in the second inning.

Florida loaded the bases thanks to a double by catcher Jordan Roberts, a base via a hit batter by right fielder Jaimie Hoover and a single by center fielder Alex Voss. ISU pitcher Ali Domkuski hit shortsop Sophia Reynoso in the knee to score Roberts, and third baseman Hannah Sipos knocked an RBI groundout to score Hoover.

The Gators continued their struggles when threatening to score. They left runners on base in five of their six offensive innings and stranded runners on second and third in the bottom of the second and the sixth. UF batted 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position.

The home run hurt Arizona State

In a matchup of experience versus inexperience, the experienced side usually wins out.

Senior captain Amanda Lorenz faced off with Arizona State’s freshman pitcher Abby Andersen to start Friday evening’s contest.

Lorenz worked Andersen to a 2-2 count. She unleashed on the fifth pitch of the game. Home run. Florida led 1-0.

Then, the reigning SEC Player of the Year led off the top of the fourth with the score tied 2-2. Again, Lorenz worked Andersen to a 2-2 count, and again, she crushed the fifth offering of the at-bat. Florida reclaimed the lead on another home run.

The Gators knocked three balls over the fence in leadoff at-bats, as they pulled away from the Sun Devils (5-2). Lorenz finished 2 for 3 with three RBIs.

Second baseman Hannah Adams led off the fifth with a home run of her own, and the inning snowballed into a four-spot as UF batted around its lineup. Florida scored three consecutive runs on free passes. ASU pitchers Mikayla Santa Cruz and Cielo Meza combined to give up two walks and hit two batters in the inning.

Barnhill relinquished a leadoff home run to start in the first inning as well, but she contributed a dazzling performance overall.

The two-time All American hurled a complete game and struck out 13 Sun Devils. Barnhill also gave up four hits and one walk, but she allowed only two base runners after the third inning.

Follow Mark Stine on Twitter @mstinejr and contact him at mstine@alligator.org.

Senior Kelly Barnhill tallied a season-high 14 strikeouts Against Arizona State in the Gators' 7-2 win on Friday night.