<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-cf45c9c6-7fff-bf60-9cbd-7ec982b2083b"><span>The Gators are averaging 38.4 percent from the field and just 24.1 percent from three.</span></span></p>

The Gators are averaging 38.4 percent from the field and just 24.1 percent from three.

The 2019-20 season for the UF men’s basketball team has had an ominous beginning not many (if any) expected just a couple of weeks ago.

Preseason hype and accolades have disappeared, and the No. 6 ranking in the initial AP Poll awarded to UF coach Mike White and company is now a distant memory as the Gators now sit unranked after two early losses to Florida State and UConn.

Despite the slow start, UF has an opportunity to redeem itself sooner rather than later starting this week.

On Thursday, the Gators will be in South Carolina to begin their trek in the Charleston Classic. They’ll start the tournament with a matchup against Saint Joseph’s (2-2) for the first time since 2015.

UF is one of eight teams playing in Charleston, including two it has already faced in UConn and Towson, an in-state rival in Miami and the only ranked program in the field, No. 18 Xavier.

Florida searching for answers on offense

Through four games, the offensive side of the ball has yet to produce results needed to be successful.

While the defense has certainly played well to this point (allowing just 61 PPG), the offense has been anemic. The team’s averaging 62.5 PPG, shooting 38.4 percent from the field, and are just 19-of-79 from three (24.1 percent).

With all of the talent and proven shooters on Florida’s roster, White is still trying to solve the problems that have surfaced when his team has the ball.

“We’ve been really good in practice offensively,” White said at Tuesday’s media availability. “I think that (in games) we’re a little rushed under the lights, on TV, facing a different team … we’re just very dysfunctional right now on offense, obviously.”

White admitted being frustrated, and rightfully so, but he also said that it’s early and the morale of the team is still high despite the disheartening start to the season.

“We’ve got really good kids, and I think they’re extremely receptive (to communication),” he said. “It’ll fall for us at some point, we’ve got too good of shooters. We’ve just gotta figure it out.”

Gators hoping quick stretch provides rejuvenation

A lot of times, the best way to work out of a shooting slump is with reps, and Florida will have plenty of those playing three games in just four days.

UF is in desperate need of a spark and Charleston may be the perfect place to capture that.

“We have three big opportunitie’s this week, and hopefully we can take advantage,” White said.

At 2-2, if the Gators can win out in Charleston and secure a marquee win against Xavier along the way, the perception of this team and the outlook of its season will change drastically.

“The best chance for our confidence to increase is not to go out there and jack one in the first minute and hope it goes in,” White said. “Let’s make sure our first one is really good, and if it goes, you have a great chance at settling in as a team.”

Follow Evan Lepak on Twitter @evanmplepak. Contact him at elepak@alligator.org