<p><span>Junior Sierra Brooks (17-under) took home the individual title during a shortened opening weekend at the Cougar Classic in Hanahan, South Carolina. Florida won the tournament by three strokes.&nbsp;</span></p>

Junior Sierra Brooks (17-under) took home the individual title during a shortened opening weekend at the Cougar Classic in Hanahan, South Carolina. Florida won the tournament by three strokes. 

The No. 3 Gators women’s golf team labored through a two-hour weather delay in Palos Verdes, California, where its 2019 spring season began at the Northrop Gumman Regional Challenge.

Florida currently holds the No. 11 spot on the leaderboard after a difficult first day on the links, while play resumes today in round two of this three-day tournament. Only three players in the tournament’s field of 84 shot under-par in round one’s difficult conditions.

“This event is always a strong field and a challenging golf course but we wouldn't want it any other way,” coach Emily Glaser said in a release prior to the start of the tournament. “If we want to see how good we can be this season this is a great way to challenge ourselves right out of the gate."

The Gators sit 15-shots back of the lead after shooting a +22, while No. 12 UCLA sits in first place at +7.

Marta Perez and Elin Esborn both led the way for Florida shooting 76’s (+5), while Addie Baggarly and Sierra Brooks both sit one stroke back at 77 (+6). Freshman Clara Manzalini struggled in her first spring event for Florida, finishing the day at 79 (+8) after shooting +6 through her final nine holes.

Not only is the course giving Florida trouble early-on, but the competition isn’t easy either. With 11 competing teams in the Top 20 Golfstat rankings, including four of the top five, the Gators face a difficult climb up the leaderboard at 11th place.

Though Florida is 18-holes through, 36 holes still remain for the Gators. Junior Carlotta Ricolfi, who is competing individually, shot a team-best 71 (E) with five total birdies on the round. She currently sits tied for fourth, along with four other golfers who finished even.

Follow Victor Prieto on Twitter @victorprieto_11 and contact him at vprieto@alligator.org.

Sierra Brooks is tied for 40th place at +6 after the first round of the Northrop Gumman Regional Challenge.