Homer-heavy routs propel Gators softball to spotless Day 1 of California tourney

<p>Amanda Lorenz scorched another home run on Thursday against Alabama.</p>

Amanda Lorenz scorched another home run on Thursday against Alabama.

There’s a lot you can do in 15 seconds.

It’s enough time for someone to tie both of their shoes, answer a question on a multiple-choice test or even rinse a dirty coffee mug in the sink.

But if you’re junior outfielder Amanda Lorenz, it’s enough time for you to round the diamond after hitting a home run.

It took roughly the same amount of time for her to do it again on her second bomb of the night, too.

Lorenz’s pair of homers were part of the reason Florida’s softball team found success in Fullerton, California, on Day 1 at the Judi Garman Classic.

She drove in seven total runs as the Gators (18-1) swept their doubleheader on Thursday night, defeating Loyola Marymount 13-0 and Cal State Fullerton 10-0.

“We had some two-strike home runs, we had some early count home runs, but we were patient at the plate,” coach Tim Walton said in a release.

Hitting two home runs in the Gators’ matchup against Loyola Marymount, Lorenz posted a slugging percentage of 2.500 and a game-high six RBIs.

However, the Moorpark, California, native wasn’t the only one who found success at the plate last night.

Right fielder Jordan Matthews, catcher Jordan Roberts and third baseman Nicole DeWitt each also hit home runs of their own in Thursday night’s doubleheader, totaling six across the two games.

DeWitt’s first-inning dinger to center field started off the scoring against the Lions in Game 1 of the night. In the top of the fourth, Matthews stepped up to the plate with Lorenz and DeWitt on first and second, respectively. The Anaheim, California, native sent a ball over the left-field wall to drive in the pair of baserunners and inflate the Gators’ lead to 9-0.

Lorenz followed suit in the top of the fifth. With the bases loaded, she got the better of a 1-0 pitch and launched her second career grand slam out to right-center field.

After demolishing the Lions in a 13-0 shutout, the Gators took on their next victim in Cal State Fullerton.

DeWitt started off the second home-run derby for Florida by sending one over the fence in center field at the top of the fourth. The Garden Grove, California, native’s homer put the Gators up 5-0.

The top of the fourth saw more long-ball action from Roberts, who sent one to right center, scoring three runs on the blast. Base runners Janell Wheaton and Jaimie Hoover were able to score from first and third base, respectively.
Offense wasn’t the only aspect of Florida’s that was in hyperdrive Thursday night. Starting pitchers Aleshia Ocasio and Kelly Barnhill pitched a combined eight innings, allowed two hits between them and struck out 15 total batters. Underclassmen Natalie Lugo and Katie Chronister cleaned up the other two innings after the starters departed, striking out four of the six combined batters they faced.
“We can talk about the offense and how well hit, but gosh we pitched really well today,” Walton said.

Florida continues the midseason grind tonight against Charlotte. The Gators take on the 49ers at 8:30.

Follow Mari Faiello on Twitter @faiello_mari and contact her at mfaiello@alligator.org.