<p>Kadarius Toney carries the ball during Florida's 28-27 victory over Kentucky on Sept. 23, 2017, at Kroger Field.</p>

Kadarius Toney carries the ball during Florida's 28-27 victory over Kentucky on Sept. 23, 2017, at Kroger Field.

“What in the f--k?”

That was my reaction to the initial breaking of the report of UF football players getting involved in a “confrontation” with Santa Fe student Devante’ Zachery.

And if it wasn’t yours too, then you should probably re-evaluate your thought process.

Let’s break the whole situation down piece by piece and start with the initial report, because there is A LOT wrong with it.

First, why the hell is the football team involved with trouble like this anyway?

Everyone and their mother knows that getting involved in disputes like this ruins lives and can only mean bad news.

Second, regarding the initial report of the confrontation, it stated Zachery and his crew were strapped with guns. Like, real guns.

Yet, tight end C’yontai Lewis wielded a frying pan. We’ve heard the old adage saying, “Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight,” but this takes it to a whole new level.

C’mon C’yontai, a frying pan? Seriously? What did you expect to do, become a freaking ninja and block their hypothetical bullets with it? The tight end shouldn’t be involved at all, but if he’s going to be, you want him to be sensible about it.

Then, on July 4, wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland got cold-clocked and knocked out in front of Rain nightclub.

Once again, why are they even giving this guy the time of day, and why are they fighting with him? As soon as he approaches, just get out of wherever the hell you are and call the police. Unless, of course, you have something to hide as well.

Let’s move to the next report that came out about wide receiver Kadarius Toney, who got handcuffed for not complying with police.

GPD pulls him over because he’s not wearing a seatbelt, but then they find something much more heinous. An assault rifle. Something you kill someone or something with.

When asked why he had such a weapon in his backseat, Toney responded he had it “for protection because of the locals.”

For what now? Protection because of locals? I am incredulous. Never once have I met someone who has an ASSAULT RIFLE for protection. A pistol? Okay, maybe. I can somewhat understand that. But an assault rifle?

Finally, why are the football players CONTINUING to associate with this local after he caused them trouble in the first place?

It’s not as if Zachery is going after the players, it’s cited specifically in the police report that players have attempted to seek him out for a showdown.

There’s something more going on here. I don’t know exactly what it is, and I don’t know why it’s going on, but we’re going to find it. We might not find it first at the Alligator, but someone will. We, as journalists and reporters, are going to find it.

Dan Mullen, you better get ahold of your team, and you better do it damn quick because the walls are closing in.

Chris O’Brien is a sports writer. You can follow him on Twitter @THEChrisOB and contact him at cobrien@alligator.org.

Kadarius Toney was found with an assault rifle in the back of his Chevy Monte Carlo.